Day of Miracles

So I want you all to hear the story of the miracle (literally) of Katelyn's birth. On my Wednesday appointment to the dr we decided that I would go into the hospital on Friday morning and be induced. So we got the girls over the Gma and Gpa's house and set off. It took a while for the contractions to really pick up, but once he broke my water things really got going. The contractions were really intense and close together (Ashley W. is this normal for being induced. That is what happened when I was induced with Anne).

Within 30 minutes I knew I needed the epidural. So they decided to check my progress. Things were happening really fast. But the nurse discovered a problem. Katie's heart rate kept dropping drastically and it seemed her head was pushing on the umbilical cord. Panic insued! All the nurses started running around preparing things and calling people. Jared and I could barely understand what was going on. They were prepping me for a c-section and moving fast. One of the nurses had to sit on my bed holding Katie's head in place so it wouldn't push on the cord. She sat there the whole time until she was born (over a half hour) I have never had an operation before so I knew this was going to be quite the experience. The dr rushed back to the hospital and they literally ran me down to the operating room. I was almost completely exposed to the whole hospital. What an experience that was. Within a half hour in the operating room was born and in Jared's arms. Jared was so worried about both of us, because we had so little information and he couldn't be in the operating room. But the nursed went down frequently to get him update during the operation and while I was in recovery. And he got some wonderful time with Katie while I was out.

I just got out of the hospital yesterday and am doing really well. It truly is a miracle the way we found out there was a problem and how quickly everyone was able to respond and especially that nothing happened to Katie. It is so easy for things to go seriously wrong for the child, even fatally, in a situation like this. But she seems to have no side effects and is doing really well. She is such a peaceful child and we all love her so much. I am so grateful for the genuine love that was shown to me by the nurses and doctors during the birth, and to both of us during our stay in the hospital. We are truly so blessed and I don't know how to show my gratitude to Heavenly Father enough.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you were going to be calling her Katie. That is cute! I'm glad that everything worked out! Love you!

Karen said...

What a miracle experience!! We are grateful prayers were answered even before we knew there was a crisis. We love you 5!!

Andrew and Lyndsey Richardson said...

That is pretty close to exactly what happened with Tristan. Gavin too, but they managed to get him out without the c-section at the end. Tristan, not so much-emergency c-section. Andrew got to be in there with me, I can't imagine Jared not being able to. I am happy that everything turned out well in the end and wish you the best of recoveries. They can be a little rough as well.

Amy said...

I am glad that your little miracle occured. She is a beautiful little girl! I am so happy for you all!!!