38th Week and Counting

Today is officially the start of my 38th week of pregnancy. I thought I would never get to this point, but it came amazingly fast (well, at least as fast as a pregnancy can go). Yestereday I went to my latest appointment and I must admit I was really nervous about it. I am constantly in pain, and not sleeping. I can barely get anything done. Jared went back to work today after 2 1/2 weeks vacation, and tonight he starts a very intense 6 weeks of school. I just don't know how to handle it all, plus my calling and what ever else comes along. I spent a good portion of yesterday morning crying to Jared.

Anyway...I was nervous about what the doctor would say about any progress my body might be making to have this baby come. He is more than willing to induce me whenever I have made enough progress that my body would respond to the drugs. I was scared that I wouldn't have made any progress and was prepared to burst into hysterics right there in his office, then schedule and planned c-section.

Everything went well. Based on the baby's size in the ultrasound (he does one every visit...I am one lucky woman) the baby is already 3.5 kilos (over 7 1/2 lbs) in weight. Can't imagine how big it will be when it is born. I have dialated to 1 cm, but not effaced yet...sorry to all you guys for the information. But the doctor said that since it is my 3rd child. It could go the full 40 weeks or come this weekend. From now until the baby comes I go in every week.

I came out of the appointment actually feeling a little encouraged. It is so frustrating knowing that you are just sitting around waiting for your own body to do the necessary work, but also having no control over if it does the work or not. But I am very fortunate to have a doctor who doesn't just brush aside my complaints and need to have this baby as soon as possible. He is willing to give me whatever information I need and will do whatever possible to help it to come early, safely and with as little pain to myself. He gives me encouragement about the possibility of it coming early on its own, not making suffer like the other doctors did. So now I just am looking to next Wednesday and then go from there.

5 comments:

Karen said...

Go Kristin Go!! I hope the day will soon arrive with everything and everyone healthy and well.

Mandi said...

Oh kristin, yikes that is one large child! I'm sending you an air hug of love!

Andrew and Lyndsey Richardson said...

Oh to be that close! I hope the days you have left go quickly and that everything goes well. Keep letting us know!

Rachel said...

Kristin good luck, it sounds like you have a great doctor & a wonderful family who pampers and spoils you on special days. I love the picture of the girls on sleds too. SO CUTE!

Amy said...

Please let us all know as soon as possible!!! I can't wait to see your new little one and hear all the details!