Temple Square

One of my absolute most favorite places on earth!!!!!


When I was a young girl my Grandpa worked for the church. He worked in the Church Office Building. This was all before 9/11 so there was no security really. We would go visit him with my Grandma, explore with just us kids and go to top to see the grand but rather scary view of the city and valley. I sure wish I could do it again. I even remember once playing on the elevators...going up and down the elevators with my cousin, Katie.


My grandma was also a hostess at Temple Square. Anyway, I spent many special days with just me and my grandma, and the occasional sibling or cousin, at Temple Square. I have watched the landscape expand and evolve, along with the displays and "shows" in the visitors centers. I have always felt a special connection to Temple Square.


I could go on and on, but this is getting abit long. So, my Grandparents called and said they were going to be in Draper and wanted to know if we could do our get together somewhere. Jared and I had wanted to visit Temple Square but weren't sure how to fit it in. I tack this onto one of the "tender mercies of the Lord". I would get the extra time with my grandparents that I so wanted and would be able to do it in a setting that meant so much to me and my memories of them.


So we packed ourselves, Hyrum and Rike in the car once again. We loved that Rike was able to go and we could have special time with her too. Plus, it gave Hyrum a chance to bond with her. Now I have some memories with her in Temple Square.,

Look, pictures of me. That doesn't happen often. Enjoy. You may not recognize it, but this is the South Visitor Center. To the right of us is a 3D scale model of the Salt Lake Temple. You can see the rooms inside. It is all perfectly recreated. I read about it on the internet and knew I wanted to see it. If you all get a chance you have to see it too. My grandpa told me about a time all the priesthood were called together for a solemn assembly in the upper room of the temple. The model even shows you the First Presidency and the Twelve meet each week. Next I wanted to see the Church Office Building. You can't go any further than the lobby anymore, but I remember standing by the humongous picture of Christ and the apostles that has hung in the lobby forever. My grandma would point out Christ's foot and tell me to walk back and forth. I would see the foot following me whereever I would go. So I want to see it again. And get a picture of us in front of it. Thank you Rike for taking the picture. When we walked out of the Church Office Building the wind was so strong and I remembered how it always is like that. I love that some things never change. We didn't want to stay all day, because my gma was having problems with her hip, and we didn't want her to over due it. When I was a little girl on my special dates with Gma we would eat a the Lion House. But Gma said the food isn't as good anymore, so we ate at another place they had heard about. It is called the Nauvoo Cafe and is in the Joseph Smith Memorial Building right behind the huge statue of Joseph Smith. The food was great and it is a new memory. (As you can probably tell I am uber sentimental. Sorry. Actually, I am not sorry. I love it!) We sent Gma and Gpa off on their way home and headed to Deseret Book. Used to work in the one in Provo and it is the best place to work. Can it get any better than to work in place filled with the Spirit all the time? I think not! Anyway, we didn't stay long, because Hyrum got hungry and threw a royal fit. (He did it again on another visit to Deseret Book.)

It was such a fun day and probably on of my favorites. Well, they all are, but it was special.

1 comment:

Rike said...

Oh, Kristin! I shed a tear about this one! LOVE AND MISS YOU!