On Monday night, braved the crowds (I was worried the whole time about losing one of the kids) and went to Temple Square. It was beautiful, as always. It again reminded me how grateful I am to once again being living so close to all the wonderful church sites and to be able to share them with Jared and my kids.
While they were doing that the kids came up and said the basement ceiling was leaking. The menfolk rushed downstairs. In the end our drywall was down and the fridge upstairs was pulled out. The water pipe for the fridge had been leaking. The sub-floor and floor joists were soaked through. And the drywall was wet. Merry Christmas to us!!!! They decided to let it air out and dry up and decide after how bad the damage is.
Dinner was wonderful anyway and I think within a short time all of us had pretty much forgotten about our poor, damaged house. The food was DELICIOUS!!!!! I have missed it since we moved away from Germany.
The reading of the nativity followed dinner. Maybe next year we will be able to act it out. We have tried to really teach our kids and focus on Christ being the real meaning of Christmas, this year. I hope we were successful.
The kids each got to open 1 gift. We had given them books to add to their library. Anne and Alicia want to advance from picture books to simple chapter books, so we bought them a series about some girls who live in Neverland. We will see how they like them. Hyrum loves Dr. Suess, so we got more of his books. After the gifts were opened, Jared read "Fox in Socks" to the kids. Wow, I am glad it was him not me. The rest of us got to giggle as he struggled to get through it.
Next the kids went to bed and the adults got to be entertained by Maria's Santa impressions. No more fresca for that girl at dinner. It was so cute. Then we opened the gifts from each other that we said we wouldn't buy. The best part was being together and laughing a lot.
Christmas morning the kids were so excited, but still had to wait downstairs for all the adults to get up. Once, they all were up we took the traditional pictures of the kids and family on the stairs. I love these pictures. it was fun to see myself grow-up this way, and I love seeing it my kids grow-up that way too.
Opening gifts with the kids was so much fun. They got so excited about everything.
When it was all over, I set up the kids gifts for display (another tradition). We had so many very generous family members. So we decided to record the kids saying thank you for all their gifts.
While I did that, Jared and Ray made omlettes. Sweet Jared, remembered that this was my traditional Christmas breakfast growing up. (Honestly, with these past crazy months I had forgotten)
The rest of the day the kids played with all their new toys, crafting and had so much fun. It was a wonderful Christmas...one that I will always remember.
No comments:
Post a Comment