This is the chinese restaraunt we ate our first night in Salzburg. I was nervous that Salzburg was just famous because it was Salzburg and its part in history. But we were amazed. It was dark when we got there, but still the city was impressive. The night pictures are from our first night there. I took the one of the restaraunt the next day. To me it looks like it should belong in Mexico not Austria. The food was excellent!!
The next day we got up early and headed back into Salzburg for fun. These pictures are at random.
That reminds me of Disneyland. It was actually a sweddish sweet shop.
All the buses in the city run on these cables. I felt like I had stepped back in time. I loved the quaint and peaceful feel of Salzburg. It was my kind of place.
This tunnel was built right through the mountain that separates Salzburg. The parking garage is in the mountain and you walk through these tunnels to get out.

Just more history. This bridge was one of the main bridges in Salzburg. I had no idea that Salzburg had that kind of history.
All of the pictures above are of the Getreidegasse in the heart of Salzburg. It is just like entering the middle ages, which of course I loved. I hope you all noticed the McDonald's sign in the iron working.
Jared bought some hot chesnuts...I wasn't such a big fan, but I am glad I at least got to try them.
Some of you may recognize this fountain from "The Sound of Music". It was acutally used as a bath for horses. Those horses had a better bath than I will ever have. Thankfully, mine is more private though.
Jacob really wanted to go to Salzburg to see the birthplace of Mozart. Let me just say, they LOVE Mozart in Salzburg. This is the home where Mozart was born. It is right on that wonderful old-fashioned walking street. While Rike and Jacob took a tour Jared and I walked around (what we do best on trips) and found some gems of our own. This odd little chair scene was titled "The Spirit of Mozart". I really hope he wasn't as stuck on himself as this makes it seem.
Isn't that the cutest thing you have seen today. It was for me!!!
I loved the river running through the city and all the building lining it. This bridge was covered in pad-locks that people had written on then hung on the it. We wanted to add one of our own, but never got around to it.
More evidence of the Mozart mania in Salzburg. This shop only has products about him. Love those chandeliers. You don't see that often in a tiny gift shop.
Yes, that building was built in 1382. The world was still flat then!!!
After tromping around everywhere, (we also saw the cathedral in Salzburg...sorry no picture) Jared and I went to lunch (isn't that yummy looking!) while Jacob and Rike looked at this place...This is Maribel Palace and its fabulous gardens. And yes, Sound of Music was taped here. We didn't go on the Sound of Music tour, but I think I have seen most of the locations now. I am one lucky gal!!! Sadly, the location here was blocked off for the the winter. Still, I am glad they got pictures.
After Jacob and Rike joined us and ate their lunch we headed to our final stop...Hellbrunn Palace!!!! It is just outside Salzburg.
Guess what we found? That's right the Sound of Music Gazebo. Rike and I scuttled our butts there as fast as we could once we knew which direction it was in. Those men were such good sports.
I hate blogger! I just pushed enter and it deleted the picutre of the wonderful statue someone had decorated with their bright pink scarf and their mittens. It cracked me up.
Oh, here it is.
We let Jacob lead the way, because he is the landscape expert. He led us alllllllll the way to what ended up being a spectacular find. But first we had to hike up some switch-back paths. It was like Timpanogous Cave all over again (that was torture and for me personally, not worth it). But luckily, this time it wasn't too bad.
This is the entrance to what is called the "Stone Theater".
And this is what you find inside. It is literally a stage carved out of stone. Even places for the candles, and passage ways for the actors to come out at different places. It was absolutely spectacular. I love the picture on the right because Jared is being all manly, but holding my Salzburg purse (my purse very convienently broke while we were walking around town).
I loved walking around holding Jared's hand. He is my best friend.
Hellbrunn was built by an arch bishop during the 1700s and I have to say he had a wicked sense of humor. That is a stone table and chairs where he and his guests would eat. During the meal the arch bishop would give a signal and water would shoot up from the seats and hit the guest's buttocks. The poor people weren't allowed to leave the table until excused by the arch bishop, so I am sure they got shot more than once.After Hellbrunn we headed home. It was a wondeful trip and too short. I am so glad that we got to see Salzburg before moving to Utah. It was more than I had expected.
We got our girls these little dolls and they hang in our house now. They were excited.



































1 comment:
Hahahaha!!
I would have never noticed it without you pointing it out... Jareds Manly picture in the stone theatre... gret picture"! leather jackets, Jeans , baseball cap and a firm determined look on his face and having a cute purse dangking of his arm... my brother through and through!
are those dolls "Hampelmann" puppen? I cant remember having been to Salzburg before... I think I need to go and visit that too someday!
Post a Comment