München and Salzburg Day 1

We took Rike and Jacob to Salzburg, Austria right after New Year's. I have wanted to see it since I got to German and Jacob has wanted to see it for many years too.  So this was also Jared's birthday gift to me.

We headed out and as we were passing by Munich we somehow got going the wrong direction.  As we were trying to get back on track we decided on a detour to Nymphenburg, a gorgeous palace and gardens right in the middle of Munich.   When we got to the palace we discovered that the lock on one of the car doors that had been giving us trouble decided to completely break.

 We looked up a mechanic on our phones and found this one less than a mile away. So we headed there. We were told that it would take about 2 hours to fix and that the car should stay with them. What to do now?

Sadly we were in the part of Munich that had nothing of interest. So we got a taxi to drive us back to the palace. This was only my second time ever riding in a taxi and a first for Rike.

 Back at Nymphenburg (there is it...wonderful huh!) we headed straight to the gift shop to get my souveniour guide book on the palace (I get one everywhere we go).  But the shop had closed 2 minutes before and this being Germany they were not going to stay open one minute longer 4pm, no matter how desperate a person was.  It really upset, but it upset Rike even more. She went on about it for a good 10 minutes...that made me smile.
 Those houses you see in the distance surround the front of the palace. I have no idea what their purpose was, but it sure seems extravagant to me. People live in them now. Could you imagin living right next to a palace?!
 To pass the time we walked around in the rain and sometimes blustering wind.  The grounds are beautiful. I loved this building it was a green house for palm trees, but has now been made into a cafe. 

It started getting dark, so we headed back to the parking lot and made our way in the direction of the mechanic.  While we were walking the called, so Jared ran the rest of the way.  Rike, Jacob and I waited for him in this atmospheric cafe.

 I loved the effect in this picture. It came because my lense was all fogged up from the cold.

Once the door on the car was fixed we were back on the road headed towards Salzburg.  I love the alps and it was fantastic to see them. Sadly it was dark by the time we got close, so I had to wait until morning.

Ray had called ahead to a hotel for us and reserved us some rooms.  We crossed into Austria and got to the hotel, where we were told that they had given Ray some wrong information and we didn't have rooms to stay in.  So we go back into Germany so we can use the internet for free to find anther hotel.  And Jared found this one.  One thing I want to point out that we observed was that Austrians seem to not use lights in their homes at night much.  All the homes and hotels were so dark, it was strange.


This was our view from the hotel.  Can I say again how much I love the alps?  After checking in to our hotel we went into Salzburg for dinner, but I forgot to include those pictures, so that will be in the next one.

No comments: