Coburg the Beautiful

We went to Coburg as a family. Beate showed us a lot of the places that were significant to her as a child when she lived there. it was so fun to hear her stories and to see all the places too.

I loved Coburg and the surrounding area. It isn't a large city and the villages are just so quiet and peaceful. Just my type of place.
This is the home of Prince Albert...Queen Victoria's husband. Since they were cousins, this was a part of her family too. When I heard we were going to Coburg I made sure we went here. Queen Victoria and Prince Albert are 2 of my favorite people in history. They were such amazing people...he even more so than her. They are right up there on my list with Robin Hood (I know he was probably not real, but for me legends count) and Walt Disney. (I won't even go into my list of church historical figures. I will save that for another time.)

From the palace we walked to the main marketplace for the famous Coburger Bratwurst. These things are so long and put on a tiny roll. You can't buy them in stores, just fresh from the vendors. They are grilled over a special pinecone that makes them taste soooooo good. I love bratwurst...one of the best things about Germany.

Next up...dessert.

Then we headed up to the Veste. It is a castle/fortress that sits at the top of the hill that Coburg surrounds. It was never conquered, the only one in Germany that never was. Isn't that gorgeous!!!! The chapel here was even host to Martin Luther several times. To all you romatics out there, this place would be beautiful for a reception and wedding pictures.

They even had a well. I love those. And the view was spectacular!!!!She had a great time as you can see. We all did.

No comments: