Now that I have chronicaled (however that is spelled) the touristy things we did with Mandi and Ben while they were here. I thought I would be nice to share some of the other special moments we had with them.
I can't say how much I miss these two. They really became a part of our life here. When they went home Jared and I dropped them off. I was doing ok until we got home. Then I just laid in bed and cried and cried. I think Jared was unsure how to help me. The house and our family felt pretty empty for quite a while. Anne and Alicia still ask where they are. They love them so much.
The Dautels managed to keep their coming a secret for several months. On the morning of Alicia's b-day Rike came over and randomly started helping me clean my house. She said she had to run some errands but would be back with a surprise. When she came back I saw her with a camera in her hand. Then I knew something was up. I figured it was some surprise visitor. Then started to wonder who it could be. I thought of my parents, or Jared's aunt and uncle. (all of this happened in about 2 seconds).
Then I saw Mandi. I couldn't even say anything. I my mouth just dropped open and tried to form words, but nothing happened. (At least, when my dad surprised me I formed incoherent mumblings) It was the best surprised. I can't believe how quickly the girls warmed up to them.
We managed to accomplish the most important things during their trip here.

1. Much needed quality time with the sisters.

2. We all got a chance to get to know Ben. This was especially important for Jared. At their wedding last year I was able to get to know Ben a bit. But we really came to love him so much during their visit. Jared loved having the chance to play X-box with one of his brothers on my side of the family.

3. The girls got a chance to meet their Aunt and Uncle and form relationships with them. They loved having Ben read to them.

4. And last of all, Ben got the chance to sample as much bratwurst as we could throw at him.

I love this one of Mandi reading to the girls. Mandi was such a good sport. This book is in German. She sat there translating it for them.

There were plenty of chances to play and just enjoy each other's company. Here Jared and Ben were playing badmiton and Anne was helping.
I finally got a chance to show off my baby to someone in my family. Ben and Mandi were the first to see her. They were also the first of all my siblings to see Alicia.

Mandi even got to ride Jared's motorcycle. She told me she loved it. I hope she wasn't just telling me that to make me happy.

One of the highlights for Jared and his brothers was playing basketball. Robby loved it so much he kept asking for a rematch the rest of the trip. Robby really enjoyed having Ben here. It was fun to see.

Mandi even got a chance to drive on the autobahn. I love here hair in this one. I wish my hair could do something like that. But no such luck.

Here is Ben lounging in the flowers. Relaxation was a key part of the trip.

Teaching them how to play Legretto was one of the highlights. They caught on so quickly, I may never play with them again. They are good!!
I can't until we get a visit from them again or when we get to visit them.
2 comments:
Oh Kristin that was truly so wonderful! I miss ya'll..I loved the length of the trip. I really felt like it was enough time to really get to know eachother again (and Jared and Ben for the first time). Our lives are now intertwined, just the way I like it. I love that my name is the title of a blog...close the front door!
Visits with family are so fun & special when you are far apart most of the time. I always cried when my parents would leave too. Usually because the girls were crying in the backseat as we drove away from the airport!
Post a Comment