Würzburg

The castle we stayed at for Jared's birthday was about 15 minutes away from Rothenburg, one of Germany's most famous towns.  Anyone seen Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?  The little town with no children in the movie was filmed there.  It has to most fantastic Christmas store.

Since we have seen it several times we decided to skip that and head to Würzburg.  We avoided the autobahn and enjoyed the gorgeous scenery as we drove. 
 These are sugar beets.  This is such a common site in this area of Germany.  As they harvest them they make thes huge, long piles of sugar beets and wait for their turn to take them to the processing factory...which runs non-stop for months.  The fog is also very common. This is where I lived before I met and married Jared.  In many ways it felt like coming home. It was such a bitter/sweet experience.  It was just like I had seen it so many times.  I relived so many wonderful memories, but the military is now gone, so the culture and people that I loved are no longer there and that is sad.

We came on Würzburg from the south, through the area I lived.  This gave us a wonderful chance to get pictures of everything one last time before we move in the spring.  Who knows when I will see it all again!

 This little castle is in the center of Giebelstadt...the village right next to the one I lived in.  I fell in love with this castle the first time I saw it.  It is in disrepair and needs som TLC. I wish I had the money to buy it and just love it back to life again.  It seems to sit there so lonely, missing all the people who gave it life that are now gone.  Maybe one day I can buy it.  I doing research right now to learn its history, but there is very little information out there.
 This restaraunt is right by my little castle.  It was my family's favorite place to eat.  So many memories.  On the day Jared and I got engaged we ate here with both sets of parents.
 This is my favorite church in Germany.  It is in my tiny village.  I got there in September so I saw it for the first time all beautiful in its autumn colors.

When we got to Würzburg we parked and walked around.  It was a national holiday so all the shops were closed.  On our second date, Jared and I walked about Würzburg.  We love to do is still and reminesce.
 On our second date I walked around this jewelry store with Jared and we talked about the different rings that we liked. The shop was closed, so we could only look in the windows.  I was sneeky and took him to the watches first.  I can't believe how bold I was.

They had an open market going. We had fun walking around it.  I ate a bratwurst and Jared got a foot long hot dog type thing.  I thought I had a picutre here, but I must have forgotten it. Oh wait, now it is here.
This is from the bridge where we talked for hours on our second date and where Jared purposed to me.  I love this city!!!!!  After Würzburg we headed home to our kids.

4 comments:

Mandi said...

its so wierd, everything still seems the same, but different. I always expect things to not keep existing when I'm gone from them.

Traci said...

so pretty. What a fun little get away! Where are you guys moving?

Kathi said...

This post makes me miss it so much!!!!!! Gorgeous country!!

Amy said...

I am so jealous that you get to be near such amazing surroundings. I want to come visit you before you move, but I don't think that is going to happen now that I am pregnant, bummer. I don't think my camera would leave my hands I would be shooting non stop!