Independence Day

Our 4th of July this year was celebrated with over 250 people. Ray is the high councilman in charge of activities for the stake. Our new stake presidency is putting much needed emphasis on reintigrating the 2 cultures (German and American) in the stake. So it seems quite appropriate that Ray has this as part of his calling.

We had a huge bbq, sports and lots and lots of talking. There was some mingling of the cultures, but we could see that there is some work to do. They just don't know each other yet.
The night before Ray broke his ankle in 2 spots playing basketball. So he had a cast put on the morning of the activity. And 2 weeks ago, Beate broke her toe trying to distract a screaming Alicia. (In the end Beate was the one screaming and my child was quiet...I guess it worked)

That meant that Gma and Gpa could watch Katie while I kept an eye on the other girls. She was so good and patient. And slept a good deal of the time.

My poor Jared was running around trying to keep everything organized. Since Ray couldn't do much Jared took the responsibility. This is a bit blurry but you can see how he was feeling.
They had activities set up for the kids.
Anne had fun with the sidewalk chalk. I don't blame her.

But I think their favorite was the tricycles. (By the way, everyone's shirts and the girl's hats were sent by Aunt Rike. We sure love her. She also sent some other wonderful gifts. She is so thoughtful)

There was even crafts. We didn't get to the other kids activities. But they still had fun.

2 comments:

Rike said...

YAY! I love that I at least get to see the pics of you guys on that day... Mom should have had her broken toe on the cooler, that would have shown how insane they are! My parents!!! Goodness, nothing can stop them. THe shirts came together nicely... I love the hats, aren't they adorable!!!

Melani said...

I love how yours is a butterfly American flag! Poor Ray and Beate. "They suffer" (said with a Russian accent.